When it comes to makeup, I firmly believe there are no rules. Be it eye shadow, lipstick or blush, if there’s a colour you’d like to wear, go for it! It’s how you apply it that makes all the difference. Here are some things to consider when choosing a shade.
- If you’re looking for a shade which most closely resembles the colour of your naturally flushed cheeks, opt for a colour which matches your just-bitten lip.
- If you have high-colour or redness, for example due to rosacea, adult acne or the menopause, you may wish to avoid pinkier toned blushes and stick to nude or peach shades. Peach is a great neutralizing colour for redness in the cheeks. If you would like to try pink-toned blushes, you could apply a colour-correcting anti-redness primer under your base to counteract any redness in your cheeks.
- Those with darker skin tones should look for formulas with bolder pigments which will give colour to the cheeks without the need for layering on lots of product, which can look cakey.
- Look for lightweight, buildable formulas, which let you build up colour without weighing the skin down. Start small, with just a touch of colour. Step back, look in the mirror and see if you like it, then add more as desired. Don’t forget, it’s much easier to start subtle and add more colour, than to start strong and take it away!
- Look for formulas which blend easily, to give a seamless finish to your cheek colour. Whatever shade of blush you choose, the result will look more natural if it blends beautifully into skin.
- Can’t find the shade you’re after? Don’t be afraid to mix colours to create a bespoke shade. This is easy with liquid formulas – using the back of your hand as a palette, mix a few drops of your chosen colours together until you get the shade you’re after.
A word on finish:
- For an ultra-natural look, go for sheer, shimmer-free formulas which let your skin show through. To transform your look and take it from day to night, you could layer an illuminator over the top.
- Satin formulas, which have just a touch of subtle shimmer, give a youthful wash of colour and a radiance to the skin.
- Shimmer formulas impart a wonderful glow, and look lovely for an evening-look or event makeup.
I think all of my Watercolour Liquid Blushes can look lovely on everyone, but if you need a shade recommendation, why not take our quiz?